Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday is the day of the week that I try to catch up on all my chores that I should have got done the rest of the week.   Today, however, my brother needed to move some lumber and asked if I would watch my 6 year old niece, Abby.  I can never say yes fast enough when I get to have a day with one of the kids. 

This girl is curiosity on legs.  She always wants to learn something new and try something different.  Today she weaved a table runner for her mom and made her very own butter!

I was running low on butter so my cream today was destined for the Kitchen Aid butter churn.  Abby wanted to make it in the old fashion butter churn but I convinced her to shake it in a jar.  I like sweet cream butter so we 2/3 filled a quart mason jar with fresh, room temperature cream, put on the cap and Abby started shaking the bajeesuz out of the jar.  She did really well, she shook it for almost 30 seconds before she was tired.  I shook it for another minute or so and we had butter and buttermilk.


I love it when kids get excited about doing the simple things that we all take for granted.   She couldn't wait to tell her dad that she milked a cow, skim the cream off the milk, and she shook a jar and made butter!  Well, Aunt Rea helped a little, but she did most of the work.  :-)   She even got to make a butter stamp with her name on it. 

That kind of wonder always makes my day.  I would have just thrown it all into the mixer, kept an eye on it and then pressed it out.  I probably wouldn't even remembered it all that much.  But add a dash of excitement from a child and everything I do becomes magical again. 

Well, now I'm off to do the work I should have been doing earlier.  lol

1 comment:

  1. Kinda reminds me of how Christmas is just so much more full of joy when children are involved. You're a really good aunt!

    ReplyDelete